How do you reinforce a sagging shelf?
Fixing your sagging shelf is an easy, budget weekend project
Too much weight and flimsy initial construction can lead to sagging and bowed shelves around the home.
As well as being visually unappealing, sagging shelves can present hazards. If the shelf breaks due to stress, the objects on the shelf can fall and could potentially injure people.
With all the busyness of daily life, it's easy to put household chores and maintenance on the back burner. Thankfully, reinforcing a sagging shelf is a task you can easily fit into a spare few hours this weekend. We promise.
If you have to buy new tools, the shelf reinforcement could cost up to $100 in total. If you can borrow tools or have most tools on hand (except for Carinya's shelving brackets), the total cost will likely be less than $20.
The tools you'll need
- Measuring tape
- Shelving brackets
- Drywall anchors
There are several options to reinforce a sagging shelf. Carinya has a range of functional reinforcing brackets and plates, including:
The type of bracket you require will depend on the space between your shelves and the amount of weight you are looking to reinforce. A single floating shelf may only need a single angled bracket.
How to install brackets
You can install brand new reinforcing brackets in a short amount of time and just a few easy steps.
- Measure the length of the shelf in order to determine the middle point. Mark with a pencil.
- If you have several floating shelves on top of each other, measure the distance between the shelves parallel to the sagging layer.
- Line the metal bracket to the centre of the shelf and mark these spots on your wall.
- After you remove the shelves from the wall, screw drywall anchors into the spots you've marked.
- Position the brackets over the anchors, screwing into the anchors and ensuring screws are tight.
- Replace the shelves, and you're done.
Shelves can also be reinforced with planks of wood vertically along the wall, however this requires more tools and expertise.
Where to buy brackets
Carinya are bracket specialists, selling top quality brackets in Australia for more than 30 years. Carinya focus on supplying quality brackets using only the highest grade materials, so you know you'll be reinforcing your shelves with the best product.
Their range of over 300 brackets means that you'll always be able to find the right bracket for the job. Head into your local Bunnings Warehouse to view the range, or give the Carinya team a call on 1300 727 535.